John J. Dowd
John J. Dowd, born in Troy, New York on October 25, 1972, is a magna cum laude graduate of Boston College (B.A. 1994) and a graduate of Albany Law School of Union University (J.D. 1997). He is admitted to practice in New York State as well as the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of New York. Mr. Dowd also is a member of the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association.
Mr. Dowd's primary areas of practice are construction law, general litigation, appeals, municipal litigation, business and commercial law, and real estate.
Prior to joining Dreyer Boyajian LLP, Mr. Dowd served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Litigation Bureau of the Office of the New York State Attorney General and was a partner at the law firm of Couch White LLP. As an assistant attorney general, Mr. Dowd represented several state agencies, including the New York State Department of Correctional Services and the New York State Police, in civil actions commenced in both state and federal courts. Mr. Dowd also tried several jury civil cases in federal court. While at Couch White LLP, Mr. Dowd served as a member of the firm's Construction and Commercial Transactions/Litigation group.
Mr. Dowd has represented a wide-variety of construction industry clients including project owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, design professionals and surety companies. Mr. Dowd has extensive experience in contract law, surety law, lien law, construction trust law, commercial litigation, both jury and non-jury, having served as counsel in trials, arbitration and mediation. Mr. Dowd also is a member of the Associated General Contractors of New York State, LLC, the Eastern Contractors Association, the Northeastern Subcontractors Association and the Saratoga Builders Association, Inc.
Mr. Dowd also possesses considerable experience in defending commercial companies in massive tort actions involving alleged asbestos exposure. He also handles vehicle and traffic matters.
He resides in Saratoga Springs, New York with his wife, Marie, and his two children, Emma and Jack. Mr. Dowd has also been active in community affairs including coaching various levels of youth basketball, baseball, and softball.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Construction Law and Construction Litigation
- Commercial and General Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Property Law
- Corporate Law
- Real Property Tax Litigation
- Municipal Litigation
- New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2002
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. - 1997
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- B.A. magna cum laude - 1994
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Associated General Contractors of New York State, LLC, Member
- Eastern Contractors Association, Member
- Northeastern Subcontractors Association, Member
- Saratoga Builders Association, Inc., Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 2000 - Present
- American Bar Association - Forum on Construction Industry, Member, 2000 - 2009
Past Employment Positions
- Couch White, LLP, Partner/Associate, 1999 - 2009
- New York State Attorney General's Office - Litigation Bureau, Law Apprentice/Asst Attorney General, 1997 - 1998