WATCH OUR FIRM VIDEOS to learn more about us
William J. Dreyer
William J. Dreyer has been practicing law for 40 years. His primary areas of practice are criminal and civil litigation. He is admitted to practice before all New York State courts; the United States District Court for the Northern, Southern and Eastern District of New York; the District of Vermont; the District of Connecticut; the United States Court of Military Appeals; the United States Tax Court; the Second Circuit Court of Appeals; and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Dreyer is a graduate of Bowdoin College (1966) and New York Law School (1969). After graduation from law school, Mr. Dreyer served as a Captain, JAGC, in the United States Army and in 1974 became an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of New York and served as Chief Assistant from 1976 to 1980. He has been in private practice since 1980. Mr. Dreyer is widely considered by his peers as an authority in the area of federal practice and trials. He is listed in the first and all subsequent editions of The Best Lawyers in America and has received the highest possible peer review rating in the legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Dreyer is a member of the Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association (and past President); member of the Albany County Bar Association; New York State Bar Association (Executive Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section); Federal Bar Council. He is a charter member of Albany Law School American Inns of Court; and has served on various merit selection panels for the appointment of United States magistrates and bankruptcy judges.
Mr. Dreyer is a frequent lecturer at seminars and CLE programs for the New York State Bar Association and other organizations in the area of federal and state civil and criminal practice, and ethics and civility. In 2006, he was invited by the American Bar Association to address the Judiciary of Thailand in Bangkok on Public Corruption and White Collar Prosecutions in the United States.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Litigation
- New York, 1969
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Tax Court, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Vermont
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1970
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
- Criminal Law Update, Albany County Bar Association, Ethics & Civility CLE, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- CJA Committee, Member, 2001 - Present
- NDNY Federal Court Bar Association, Past President and Trustee
- NDNY Federal Public Defenders Association, Committee Member
- CJA Advisory, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, Panel Member, 2007 - Present
- Breyer Committee, 2009 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Council, Member
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. JAG Corps, U.S. Army, Captain, 1969 - 1973
- Assistant United States Attorneys Office, Chief Assistant, 1976 - 1980