Just shy of 30,000 pounds of ground beef was recalled on Sunday, July 21, 2012, by Cargill Bee, most of which was supplied to Hannaford Bros. supermarkets. Hannaford issued its own recall and press release shortly thereafter. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), thirty-three (33) persons from seven (7) states, including New York, Vermont, and Maine, were sickened with an identical strain of salmonella enteritidis.
When most people in Albany hear that a defective product has been recalled, they hope that it is not something that they use. What strikes fear in the hearts of most parents, however, is when that product recall is for a toy a child uses. While an adult can understand that a product recall needs to be taken seriously, a child may not and could injure him- or herself while trying to have fun.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that a total of 33 persons from seven (7) eastern states have been infected with an outbreak strain of Salmonella Enteritidis. The injured persons are from New York (14), Vermont (10), Maine (1), Massachusetts (3), New Hampshire (2), Rhode Island (1), and Virginia (2). For these 33 persons, the illness onset range is from June 6 through June 26, 2012, although there are likely more infected persons whose cases have yet to be reported and accounted for.
Late last week, a motorcycle accident south of Albany has left the motorcyclist in serious condition. Though Kingston police are still investigating the accident, it is obvious that the car-motorcycle collision has left the biker with traumatic injuries, highlighting the fact that motorcyclists are at a much higher risk of injury than other motorists in an accident.
Hannaford Bros. Supermarkets has issued a recall of 29,339 pounds of ground beef that may contain salmonella. Hannaford is a Maine-based supermarket chain with stores across the Northeast including in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York, with several stores here in the Capitol District and Albany. The recall period is for ground beef with "use or sell by" dates between May 29 and June 16, 2012. This is Hannaford's second massive recall for tainted ground beef within the last eight months, having issued a similar recall in December 2011. A full report from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) concerning the 2011 recall is available here. Dreyer Boyajian LLP represents several persons injured as a consequence of the 2011 Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak.
Earlier in the week, we covered the tragic story of how a boy's misdiagnosis cost him his life. The 12-year-old had gone to New York University Langone Medical Center after his family physician said he had the flu and needed to be rehydrated. Instead, he had developed a bacterial infection from a cut in his arm that quickly led to a fatal septic crisis because of some very simple medical errors.
Two New York parents will never be the same after what seemed like normal bout with the flu turned into losing battle for their son's life. Sadly, their 12-year-old son died from a medical condition that, if it had been caught in time, most likely would not have taken his life. The trouble is, the physicians at New York University Langone Medical Center didn't notice it until it was far too late.
It is something that the people of Troy hear all too often: a motorcyclist has died because of a driver's negligence. Sadly, many drivers don't pay enough attention to other cars, much less motorcycles on the road. Whether it is sheer negligence or something closer to recklessness, New York drivers need to learn to respect motorcyclists.
Nearly everyone in Albany can agree that a nursing home that fails to take care of its patients should face some kind of discipline. Nursing home negligence is unacceptable, in part because its victims are vulnerable adults and the elderly, many of whom are unable to get the help they need on their own. In some of the most extreme cases of nursing home neglect or abuse, the New York government will pull an operator's license, closing the nursing home entirely.
A New York family will have to come to grips with the loss of an 11-year-old girl. The family had been vacationing at a resort and was on the resort's miniature golf course when the girl was electrocuted when she went into a small pond to get a golf ball. Though the resort has said that it is unsure why the water was electrified, it expressed its condolences for the loss of the girl.
It is likely that the people of New York are familiar with 50 Cent's music. The rapper has won a Grammy and has been in the limelight in the past couple of years, but now he may be the focus of media attention because he was injured in a New York City car accident. Luckily, the rapper has been released from New York Hospital Queens, but that does not mean that he can't hold the driver responsible for his injuries.