A New York family will have to come to grips with the loss of an 11-year-old girl. The family had been vacationing at a resort and was on the resort's miniature golf course when the girl was electrocuted when she went into a small pond to get a golf ball. Though the resort has said that it is unsure why the water was electrified, it expressed its condolences for the loss of the girl.
Even though the resort has issued a statement about the incident, they can still be held liable for the loss of the girl and the injuries that two attempted rescuers received. It is any business' responsibility to provide a safe area for its guests. When it does not and someone is injured, the victim can often sue the business in a premises liability suit.
When a guest heard the 11-year-old scream, he tried to wade into the water after her but was also electrocuted. Luckily, he was not fatally wounded, but he was unable to help the little girl. By the time rescuers were able to get the girl from the water and bring her to a local hospital, she had already died. It was only during an autopsy that it was determined she had been electrocuted.
This horrible tragedy is still being investigated, but it is fairly clear that, at some point, the resort failed in its duty to keep safe premises for its guests. Unfortunately for this New York family, that knowledge will not bring back this little girl.
Source: Reuters, "New York girl electrocuted at Florida mini-golf course," Barbara Liston, June 29, 2012