Candy-like laundry detergent causes severe reactions in children
Parents in Troy may have thought the new single-dose laundry detergents would make doing laundry much easier. After all, parents would no longer have to lug around large detergent containers, nor would they have to worry about spills. Unfortunately, many of them may not have realized how dangerous this household product can be.
There have been numerous reports of children thinking these small detergents are candy, and like most children, when they see candy, they want to put it in their mouths. Sadly, these little laundry detergent pods are much more toxic than regular liquid detergents. If a child was found to have consumed a liquid soap, he or she would most likely get an upset stomach.
Children who are eating or biting into the single-dose detergents, however, are becoming much sicker. Many children will start vomiting or having diarrhea only minutes after accidentally ingesting the soap. Some children can't catch their breath and will start to wheeze or gasp. The most serious cases require the children to be intubated or put on a ventilator after they become unresponsive.
The detergent manufacturer, Tide, is promising to create a child-proof top to the detergent container sometime this summer. But with approximately 10 calls a day to local poison control centers and almost 180 calls in the past 20 days, Tide may need to work quickly to prevent further injury to children.
Parents should not have to worry that their children will get sick from something as common as laundry detergent. With such a large number of poisonings, it seems that Tide has produced a dangerous household product and could be held liable for the injuries its products cause.
Source: ABC News, "Laundry Detergent Pods Poisoning Children," Linsey Davis, May 23, 2012